Wednesday 26 March 2008

25.03.08 Dangerous fun poking

My visa is running out, so I went down to the Oficina de Migration. It was a simple process; two minutes later, I was out with a stamp to stay for another 60 days. How different it would be if I was from the USA. Citizens of the Land of the Free have to jump over a lengthy series of bureaucratic hurdles and pay an administration fee; in short, they are put through the same nonsense that visitors to the USA have to go through (even the fee is the same amount).

This completely unreasonably warmed my heart, I suspect most Yanks (I can’t just call them Americans, as that’s everyone on the continent) here are as pro-Bush as Ken Livingston.

Morales needs to be careful not to antagonise the USA too much, as much fun and warranted as it undoubtably is. He has valuable gas reserves and his credentials as a democratically elected leader would not save him. In 2002, they backed a failed coup to overthrow oil-rich Venezuala’s elected leader Chavez.

The history of the continent shows the USA will always back a compliant, murderous dictator (ideally, one they trained themselves) over a troublesome, democratically elected pinko. And when there’s energy involved as well…

No comments: