Thursday 20 March 2008

18.03.08 Does he take azucar (sugar)?

Susi meets me in the park and then we go for lunch. The waitresses clearly prefer to deal with Susi’s perfect Spanish than my garbled, mispronounced nonsense. I am doing my best though, damn them, which makes it so depressing when Susi is asked to translate what I have said or questions about my lunch are referred to her.

It can become even worse when I am on my own. This afternoon, I ordered a Huari (a brand of beer). 4.30, I was told in reply (it was my first of the day, honest). Being able to order a beer must be the lowest rung of the language ladder, which means I am reduced to looking thirstily on.

1 comment:

bruce said...

Air guitar playing and pedalos - sounds like a dream!

That really is sad news on the beer ordering...maybe you need to start fashioning a hip flask in case of emergencies.

This week I learnt the word for moustache - 'bigote' - strangely close to the english word 'bigot'...does this say something about the history of moue wearers?

Bx