Thursday 20 December 2007

7.12.07: hobbies

By cunningly giving up my job in order to move to Bolivia, I am hoping a world of hobbies is going to open up. I have real concern about what the flagrant lack of ski lifts says about Bolivians, given their surfeit of mountains. Also, I fear access to tennis courts is going to be as limited as my ability to serve without looking outrageously effeminate.

So, hiking and mountaineering might be better options. Bearing in mind that everyone says that is exhausting just climbing the stairs, it would be wise to build up to these strenuous activities. (The Bolivian football is famed for the huge disparity between its home and away results because visiting teams can’t cope with the paucity of oxygen.)

While I acclimatise and wonder when I’ll next use my tennis headbands, I think I will take up the ukulele again. Never having played any musical instrument in any way musically, my initial attempts at learning the “oh-so-simple-to-learn” uke were woeful.

After weeks of practice, I went to the first class of the complete beginners’ course at The Duke of Uke (www.dukeofuke.co.uk)–strangely, London’s only uke shop—and was hopelessly lost after 5 minutes. Beyond remedial, hopeless. At their Christmas party last night, I met a teenage uke expert (tommilsom.com; myspace.com/tomandhisuke) and he has reignited my enthusiasm. Now is my chance to dedicate myself to it. Failing that, there’s always the panpipes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd recommend taking up smoking too. I hear that heavy smokers cope better at altitude, due to the fact that their lungs are already way less efficient at oxygenating the blood and threfore used to the conditions that you'll experience in Bolivia. Of course there may be no truth to this whatsoever but I'd recommend a hearty 20 Malboro reds a day, just in case. That should get you off to a flying start. Be nice and cheap out there too.