Sunday 4 May 2008

1.05.08 Easy skankin’

After a light breakfast of boiled yam, boiled callaloo (spinach), fried bananas, boiled dumplings and fried dumplings, I was set for a walk. After yesterday’s experience, I’ve opted for a purposeful gait, no eye contact, trousers and shoes rather than shorts and flip flops, and more deodorant.

Today’s destination was the Hope Botanical Gardens: I set off through uptown Kingston, this is not a beautiful place, large uninteresting buildings line the wide busy thoroughfares. It did not improve as I walked out of the main business district, the buildings are smaller and scruffier, the people just scruffier, and the traffic flows on unaltered. On route, I stopped at the Bob Marley Museum for a refreshment—once a rather elegant, understated place, Bob’s old house is now a gaudy honey trap for tourists (happily, I only saw one misguided white visitor with braided hair).

The botanical gardens are lovely, a respite from the hassle and demands of the street; quiet, peaceful and surrounded by rolling hills, it was a pleasure to be there as the sun set.

No comments: